The PJ25 shows at Fenway Park not only contained the best of the bands own catalog, it also put together the best collection of covers the band has assembled in perhaps decades.
Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Aerosmith, Little Stevie, The Ramones!
Rock legends in their own right, the members of Pearl Jam were clearly enjoying covering their heroes on such an historic stage.
Night 1 – August 5, 2016
- Masters of War – Bob Dylan
- This version will probably go down as the best version Pearl Jam has ever done of this Dylan classic, perhaps second only to the performance Eddie and Mike did as a duet at the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary show.
- I Am a Patriot – Little Stevie
- This was an amazing choice to uplift the spirits of everyone in attendance at Fenway. Particularly at a time that it feels like we are living in a divided country. Eddie assured the crowd during the show that he wanted these shows “to be all about getting along and feeling safe together.”
- I’ve Got a Feeling – The Beatles
- It is a truly special treat to see Pearl Jam covering The Beatles! This was the result of a fans post on the Ten Club message board which Eddie read aloud before granting his wish.
- Draw the Line – Aerosmith
- Paying homage to the city of Boston, Pearl Jam reminded everyone that before their success on the pop charts, Aerosmith was a rock ‘n’ roll force of the late 1970s!
- Comfortably Numb – Pink Floyd
- This performance could not have been better placed. The cool summer-nights breeze, the Boston Skyline, the moon rising over Fenway Park, and an absolutely mesmerizing rendition of a Pink Floyd classic. Special shout out to Mike McCready for taking the song to new heights during the closing solo.
- Baba O’Riley – The Who
- A regular staple in the closing spot of Pearl Jam set lists, their performance of Baba actually bookended an incredible first night as the band actually walked on to The Who’s studio-version to begin the night.
Night 2 – August 7, 2016
- Interstellar Overdrive (Intro) – Pink Floyd
- Fresh off the energy of covering “Comfortably Numb” on Night 1, the members of Pearl Jam were obviously enjoying themselves jamming out to Interstellar Overdrive before going into “Corduroy” and beginning the incredible burst of energy that was PJFenway Night 2.
- Draw the Line – Aerosmith
- A repeat from Night 1, this time it was different because Tom Hamilton of Aerosmith actually joined the band. It was incredible to see the joy and reverence on Eddie’s face to be meeting Tom for the first time (check out his reaction here)
- I Believe in Miracles – The Ramones
- Pearl Jam’s music has always been very indicative of their influence from the Ramones and this was an appropriate tribute given all of the stories Eddie told during the shows about his reverence for Fenway Park and how thankful he was to be playing on that stage.
- Love Reign O’er Me – The Who
- As soon as Eddie introduced Boom Gaspar, the crowd knew what was coming. It was a beautiful rendition of a The Who classic and both the band and the crowd were spreading the love.
- Rockin’ in the Free World – Neil Young
- Another regular staple at the end of Pearl Jam set lists, this is always a crowd pleaser.
- Star Spangled Banner
- After spending two nights in the oldest standing ballpark in the United States, it was only fitting that the crowd take off their hats, put their hands on their hearts, and look up to the flag for the national anthem.